Temporary worker visa basics

On Behalf of | Dec 4, 2019 | Firm News |

To enter the United States when you are not a citizen, you need to secure a visa if you will be in the country for an extended period. There are visas for a variety of purposes. One option is a temporary worker visa. This allows you to work in the U.S. for a set time and a set purpose. There are multiple options, so you need to know exactly what you will do in Maryland to choose the right visa for which to apply.

The U.S. Department of State explains that before applying for a temporary worker visa, your employer needs to file a petition and secure approval. In addition, some of the visa types may have limits on the number of them the government awards each year. It is vital to get your visa as soon as possible to avoid a denial due to no visas being available.

Types of temporary worker visas

There is a long list of temporary workers visas, so the following does not cover all options available. This information will cover some more common work visas.

The H-1B visa is for specialty occupations. You must have a higher degree or special skill to secure this visa.

The H-2A option is for agricultural workers. It does require you to be from certain countries.

For the H-2B visa, there is also a limit to citizens of specific countries only. This is a non-agriculture option.

The H-3 is a trainee or special education option. It is available for training, with the exception of academic or medical training, that is not available to study in your home country. This visa also covers the education of children with disabilities of any kind.

Finally, the L visa is for you if you want to work for your current employer at a branch or subsidiary located in the U.S. You must be an employee of the company for at least one year within the three prior years. Also note: this is only for managers, executives or specialists.

Choosing the right temporary work visa is an essential part of the process. You must also follow all the rules and requirements when you apply.